What is a ZooTeen?
ZooTeens enjoy the zoo with other teens ages 13-18 through this unique and exclusive volunteer program.
What does a ZooTeen do?
ZooTeens assist the Zoo Staff and Docents with many aspects of zoo operations, including animal care and handling, teaching and interpretation in programs, group leadership in summer camp, and much more.
The ZooTeen program requires volunteer training, periodic animal handling training, and a minimum number of volunteer hours be served each year. ZooTeens are invited to attend special ZooTeen events and holiday activities, and help with programs and events throughout the year. To fulfill minimum requirements, they are also required to help during some of our Zoo Camps each summer.
Becoming a ZooTeen is a fun way to spend time with animals and peers. It is also a great way for a student to gain resume- or scholarship-building experiences that will lend benefits to their college and career choices. ZooTeens will gain knowledge, skills, and experiences that will last a lifetime, including…
- zoo operations
- animal and plant care and management
- wildlife & environmental conservation
- handling and interpretation of living animals and biofacts
- teaching and interpreting to others
- leading youth activities
- public speaking
- exposure to careers in animal, botanic, environmental, biological, and natural resource sciences
- exposure to careers in education, camp counseling, outdoor education, interpretation, customer service, and volunteer coordination.
- and much more!
PARENTS PLEASE NOTE: The ZooTeen program teaches teens independence and responsibility. ZooTeens become part of the Zoo Team, and we expect them to take initiative for managing their own volunteer service and communications. Teens are expected to understand the rules and expectations, fully participate in their trainings, communicate with Zoo Education staff via phone and email, and navigate Volgistics to signup for volunteer opportunities. Please allow your teen to be their own primary contact for the program. Please use the teen’s email and phone number in the application. Thank you!
How do you become a ZooTeen?
- Read the Zooteen Program Flyer (link below) to find out more about the program and training schedule.
- Complete the online ZooTeen Application (link below).
- Submit the application by the deadline as stated on the application (roughly April 1 each spring).
- Wait to be contacted by Zoo staff once your application is approved, which will be approximately first week of April.
- Note – Acceptance into the program may be competitive if there is an overwhelming number of applicants. We accept 30 applicants each spring.
- Attend our ZooTeen training class to begin in early April.
Questions? call 812-435-0809, or email email@example.com
Applications are accepted year-round. Training classes are offered each spring in March/April.